The State Law Library often receives questions related to termination of parental rights. Termination of parental rights can be voluntary, involuntary, or a necessary step in the adoption process. Although all of these procedures are complex, our librarians have created a research guide that can help patrons better understand the topic.
Included in our research guide is information on:
- State laws governing termination of the parent-child relationship
- "Plain English" summaries of those laws
- FAQs from TexasLawHelp.org for Adoption Law and Terminating Parental Rights
- TexasLawHelp.org's instructions for terminating the parental relationship based on mistaken paternity
- Chapters from the Department of Family and Protective Services' handbook discussing involuntary and voluntary termination of parental rights
- Remote access to e-books such as Texas Family Law Practice and Procedure