Monday, August 12, 2019
In light of current events, the State Law Library has received many questions regarding Texas and federal gun laws. Our Gun Laws research guide is a reliable source for information on this topic.
This guide includes:
- State and federal laws governing firearms
- "Plain English" summaries of those laws
- Information on background checks, open and concealed carry, handgun licensing, restrictions on convicted felons, and "stand your ground" laws
- A recap of NEW firearms legislation that will take effect on September 1st, 2019
- Information from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF)
An additional resource, HeinOnline's Gun Regulation and Legislation in America brings together more than 500 titles with the goal of providing a platform for research and civil discussion. You can can access HeinOnline from home if are a registered library patron. Remember, you can register online if you don't already have an account with us!
If you have any questions or would like more information please don't hesitate to Ask a Librarian!