Monday, December 3, 2018
Charitable raffles and mail sweepstakes are popular during the holiday season. The State Law Library frequently receives questions pertaining to the legality of these types of prize-winning contests. To assist in answering those questions, our librarians have created a Raffles, Contests, and Sweepstakes research guide.
This research guide includes information on:
- State laws governing contests, gift giveaways, mail sweepstakes, raffles (including charitable raffles), and lotteries
- “Plain English” explanations from the Texas Attorney General's consumer protection division on the Charitable Raffle Enabling Act, charitable raffles and casino/poker nights, and lotteries and sweepstakes
- “Plain English” explanations from the Federal Trade Commission on phone scams, prize scams, international lottery scams, and fake checks
- Attorney General opinions related to "amusements" as well as consumer protection issues
- Remote access to e-books such as West's Gaming Law in a Nutshell and Richard Alderman's Know Your Rights!