February 27, 2017
The State Law Library often receives questions about debt collection and we provide multiple resources to assist patrons with their research.
The best place to find answers to straightforward issues is on our Frequently Asked Questions page for debt collection. This page provides answers to questions regarding the statute of limitations, credit reporting, and debt collector harassment.
Another valuable resource is our Debt Collection research guide. This research guide includes information on:
- State and federal laws governing debt collection
- "Plain English" summaries of those laws
- Information from the Texas Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission
- Remote access to e-books such as Richard Alderman's Know Your Rights! and NOLO's Solve Your Money Troubles
- Contact information for consumer protection agencies